Look at a baby’s skin and you’ll see a smooth, even complexion. Unfortunately as we age, we accumulate damage that mars that smooth appearance, creating scars, age spots, and areas of darkness.
We call this “uneven skin tone,” but whatever name it has doesn't really matter. If you're experiencing it, you probably don’t like it. Discolorations in the face can make us look older than we are but chemical lighteners have their own risks, so where do we turn to find a more even skin tone?
What causes uneven tone and discoloration?
The biggest enemy we have when it comes to our skin is the sun. UV exposure is especially damaging to the color of the skin.
A natural pigment called “melanin” creates your skin color and helps protect the skin from dangerous UV rays. When you’re outside, the sun stimulates the melanin cells (called “melanocytes”) to produce more melanin, which makes the skin darker. This is why you tan when you’ve been in the sun for awhile. Too much sun exposure, particularly over a number of years, can cause the over-production of melanin, resulting in dark spots and patches on your skin.
There are other factors that may also be involved in creating an uneven skin tone. These include:
- Exposure to environmental and toxic stressors. Prolonged time outside, antibiotics, retinoids, and fabric dyes, could all cause discoloration.
- Medications. In addition to birth control pills and antibiotics, other medications including anti-seizure and anti-arrhythmic drugs can create dark spots on the skin.
- Aging. As we get older, light and dark areas appear more prominently on the skin.
How to reduce the appearance of discoloration
Reducing the appearance of discoloration isn’t a one-step process. Instead, the best way to be successful in this skin care goal is to regularly:
- Exfoliate. Regular exfoliation helps remove impurities in pores which becomes more important as we age. Exfoliation helps you do away with the old so that the new you can shine.
- Protect. We absolutely must protect from environmental stressors. Hats and shade are best when you're outside and zinc oxide is considered the safest sunscreen. You need to make sure you're getting enough antioxidants in your diet to protect what's going on inside too.
- Lighten and Brighten. Use safe products that have ingredients that can lighten and brighten the appearance of your skin.
As long as you stay diligent and determines, continuing this regimen over a period of months will get you results. What should you use for lightening your look? Fortunately, we have some great natural alternatives.
Natural ingredients for lightening and brightening your complexion
We formulated our new Citrus Stem Cell Serum to help with the appearance of the signs of aging, including reducing the appearance of sagging, fine lines and wrinkles, dullness, and dryness. We also wanted to help our customers have a more even look to their skin tone.
To that end, we included the following ingredients—all natural, and all shown to lighten and brighten your look.
- Vitamin C. In addition to providing great antioxidant protection, vitamin C has been shown in a number of studies to help lighten and brighten the look of your skin.
- Licorice root. This natural ingredient has many benefits, including the ability to help with sensitive skin, but it also can help reduce the appearance of discoloration. The active compound it contains is called “glabridin.”
- Uva ursi. A small, evergreen plant also called “bearberry,” uva ursi is great for brightening your complexion and evening your skin tone. The active compound in this plant is called “alpha-arbutin.” Like all plant ingredients, uva ursi comes with a number of other nutrients, including antioxidants that provide protection from environmental stressors.
- Orange stem cells. This specialty ingredient will give you the appearance of younger looking skin with a more even skin tone and complexion. It has the ability to diminish the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles while increasing firmness.
These components are combined with the other protective ingredients like aloe vera and life-everlasting flower in this all-natural product, to create a lightening formula that really works but that won’t cause the troubling side effects you can experience with synthetic and chemical formulations.
Try it and let us know your results!
We’d love for you to try this product and let us know if you see results. Give it at least 2-6 weeks to show an effect, then write in and tell us what you observed. We’re confident you’ll be pleased as you’ll notice not only a lighter and brighter look, but a tighter and firmer feel to your skin.
Get your Citrus Stem Cell Serum today.
Annmarie Gianni is a mother, health activist, entrepreneur, and founder of 3 successful businesses. Over ten years ago, she and her husband, Kevin, formed a team and Annmarie Skin Care was founded to provide a clean, skin care made with natural ingredients experience using natural, organic and wildc…
what’s your skin snapshot?
Take the Quiz
Our skin is affected by many factors, including our environment, health, the food we eat, and more. Get your free personalized results and find out your skin snapshot!